Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Stormy Weather and an Anniversary




Dear Mrs. Rothwood,

     It is a pleasure to write to you again.  Having the opportunity to express  myself through writing to someone is an exercise in creativity that I sorely need.  It is simply too easy these days to succumb myself to idle scrolling through quick bursts, clickbait, and soundbyte social medias.  I feel my brain turning back on, so to speak.

     How did you fare in the ice storm last night?  We lost no electricity, though we slept fitfully, the mister and I.  Storms always make me nervous in my adulthood.  I miss the days of blissful, peaceful sleep as I rested assured of my father's tender-loving, and capable care.  I knew, no matter the outcome of the storm, that we would be supplied - warm, water, food, light.  Even now, 15 years in my own home, every storm I consider the possibility of returning to my father's home to be under his protection and care rather than flying solo here.

     While I know that you are not speculative and judgmental, I am sure you had the passing thought of, "what about Mister Scott?"  You see, he is one of the top men in his career and storms often call him out to help others.  That leaves me to the running of the household, including emergency situations.

     Speaking of 15 years away from my father's home and the capable and talented Mister Scott, today is our 15th wedding anniversary! The time has surely flown and continues to pass quickly.  We had some challenging years, Mister Scott and I, as we endured the baby years and his career challenges.  It really grew us and I am happy to say we are the better for it!  Celebration of our happy occasion won't occur until this week-end*.  A simple affair of stomping about the Capital city.

     Please write back soon.  I look forward to hearing from you.  There is beauty in our correspondence that puts an old-fashioned light into our modern world.

Sincerely yours,

Mrs. D. Scott

*For some reason I enjoy the charm of a hyphenated "week-end."  It seemed a popular way to write it around the turn of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment